Notary Application Online
Please read all instructions before completing the process
To become a Michigan notary, a notary applicant must:
1. Be 18 years of age or older
2. Be a resident or maintain a place of business in the state of Michigan
3. Be a U.S. citizen or possess proof of legal presence
4. Be a resident or maintain a place of business in the county in which he or she will apply in
5. Be able to read and write in English
6. Not have any felony convictions in the past ten years
7. Not have been convicted of three or more misdemeanor offenses involving a violation of the Michigan Notary Public Act within a five-year period
8. Not currently be serving a term of imprisonment in any state, county, or federal correctional facility or in the past ten years for a felony or misdemeanor offense in any state
What you will need-
$10,000 surety bond with power of attorney
State issued photo identification
THERE ARE 2 SEPARATE FEES ASSOCIATED WITH YOUR FILING. FIRST IS A $10 FEE UPON SUBMISSION TO ST CLAIR COUNTY CLERK AND SECOND IS A $10 FEE WHEN YOU MAIL YOUR RETURNED APPLICATION TO THE STATE OF MICHIGAN.
Do not perform notarial acts until you are listed as “Active” on the website available below or you have received your commission information!
The application process for becoming a Michigan Notary Public involves several steps. Carefully review the instructions throughout this webpage to ensure successful and timely completion. For assistance, email us at (notary contact email)
Please Print the Following two documents. Disregard instruction page on printed application. Those instruction apply to a mail in or in person application.
Fill out the application clearly and completely.
a. Use None or N/A if not applicable.
b. Use zeros for Phone numbers or Business zip code if not applicable.
c. Sign the application and have notarized.
Sign the Oath and have notarized.
Obtain a $10,000.00 surety bond with power of attorney written for a term of six or seven years through a Michigan licensed insurance company.
YOU WILL RECEIVE YOUR COMPLETED APPLICATION BACK FROM THE ST CLAIR COUNTY CLERK’S OFFICE VIA U.S. MAIL. Upon receipt of the completed application you MUST mail the original completed application that has been returned to you and a $10.00 filing fee to the State of Michigan at the address below; YOU MUST MAKE YOUR ACCOMPANIED CHECK PAYABLE TO State of Michigan.
Office of the Great Seal
7064 Crowner Drive
Lansing, Michigan 48918 Website
Look for the commission card and certificate in your email. Allow 4-6 weeks for processing AFTER YOU HAVE MAILED TO THE STATE OF MICHIGAN. Please check all spam folders.
IMPORTANT! Don’t forget the $10.00 filing fee in your mailing payable to the State of Michigan
Have you completed all of the following?
Completed application, created an image
Completed Oath, notarized and created an image
Attained a $10,000 surety bond with power of attorney and created an image (front and back)
Created an Image of your State issued photo identification(front and back)
READY TO SUBMIT, CLICK HERE